Sunday, July 10, 2011

Paris, je t'adore

I'm back. I think.
Because even though I'm home, sitting at my desk, in front of my computer, writing these words, I might as well still be in Paris.
Mentally, that's where I still am.

I'm still marveling at the imposing Eiffel Tower,






admiring the grandeur of the Notre Dame,






eating an apple tart with the most flaky, buttery and delicious puff pastry ever made, from the boulangerie of all boulangeries, Poilâne.






I'm still shopping at Mora, getting lost among the rows and rows of shelves filled with pots and pans, wooden spoons of all shapes and sizes and innumerable pastry bag nozzles,






gazing at the Seine, daydreaming about what it would be like if I lived here, in Paris.






I'm still guiltily stuffing my face with 1.50 € macarons from Pierre Hermé while S is going on and on about how overrated they really are.



1.Pistachio, 2.Salted caramel, 3.Passion fruit with milk chocolate filling, 4.Rose, 5.Chocolate


I'm still amazed by the glorious works of art housed in Paris' museums.

I'm still celebrating my anniversary with S while having a glass of wine at a quaint restaurant in Montmartre.

I'm living in the moment.






I'm still frantically changing metros in the chaotic, bustling Parisian underground,






eating a sandwich à la Grecque with feta, cucumber and tomato and wondering how a taste of home, so far away from home, can be so damn good.






I'm still standing on Pont Alexandre III contemplating the beauty of Paris,






dining at an old Parisian restaurant and feeling like I'm transported back to the 1890s when it first opened its doors.






I'm still wandering the streets of Paris, holding hands with my love, not caring where we'll end up.






I'm back. I think.







23 comments:

  1. Beautiful friend! What a wonderful tribute to a gorgeous city and how my heart yearns to be there too.Never had a PH macaroon so I'll have to change that. Don't come back till you're ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh,how lovely! I feel like I'm there too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, simply wonderful. I like your lovely in between state of mind. Wandering and holding hands is one of my favorite things to do, and in the summer, in Paris, well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brings back memories- I spent my honeymoon in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so pleased for you it looks like you had a wonderful time also the weather (uk obsessed weather fanatics)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely way to celebrate your anniversary. We went to Paris on our honeymoon and it was wonderful (but much colder and greyer than your time there- what amazing blue skies!). Looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am ashamed to admit I used to live in Paris and was not so happy about the grey and cold and damp weather; so I hopped on a plane to California. Thirty years later, when I go back to Paris for a few days I wonder what possessed me; as for Pierre Hermé I ordered once a whole tray of petit fours (about 36 of them) and ate all of them, you know, market study. Love nothing more than to sit at a café with a crème and a good croissant and brioche and let the hours fly by. Paris is a wonderful city.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary to you and S! What a magical place to celebrate your years together filled with love! I, too, love Paris and you managed to find so many of my favorite spots while there - Poilâne and Pierre Hermé, among two. When I was 20, I was invited to see the lower baking level of Poilâne - how amazing to be down there with all that wonderful bread being made in the wood-fired ovens. It was hot beyond belief! Thank you, Magda, for a lovely post and so many memories...
    David

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely! I can see why mentally you are still there. We left there kust last week, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh how beautiful and lovely! Thanks for sharing your trip - and I am jealous of all those goodies... Love the A la Greque sammie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Took in every photograph, with the wonderfully written words, and enjoyed them immensely Magda! What a beautiful post for a beautiful city!{Sorry I think I inadvertently deleted your comment that got caught in my spam catcher. A 1000 apologies. Thank you for coming by}
    Do you still make phyllo at home?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm still on your trip too.... Wow, just gorgeous. Such a gorgeous city. Those first few days back at work are the hardest. Hang in there, perhaps bring a little French too you, eat French fries sipping au latte.... No? Not a good idea. Lol
    ,

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you got to take a nice getaway anniversary trip with S! There's truly no place like Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  14. it was this month, 7 years ago, that I was last in Paris, for one of those special "zero" birthdays...sigh...a magical city, everything is golden. thanks for sharing your wonderful photographs, they brought back happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You made me sooo miss Paris I might just hop on a train there now..

    ReplyDelete
  16. It seems that these photos from Paris have stirred up memories for most of you. It is such a beautiful city.
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think that the title said it all. It's LOVE! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. *sigh* I'm back in Paris in my mind after seeing these photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely clicks and droolworthy food!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  20. Καλησπέρα από την ηλιόλουστη Ελλάδα.Ανοίγοντας τυχαία το blog σου είδα πανέμορφες φωτογραφίες.Το Παρίσι σκεφτόμασταν κι εμείς για μήνα του μέλιτος πριν μερικά χρόνια.Τελικά πήγαμε Τυνησία.Ήταν τέλεια.Πριν 20 μέρες ήμασταν Ευρώπη και περάσαμε ένα δυήμερο στην Ολλανδία.Ήταν τέλεια τα ψαροχώρια που πήγαμε.Αυτό το τοπίο με τα γραφικά σπιτάκια τις αγελάδες παντού στο ατελείωτο πράσινο... Θα μου μείνουν αξέχαστα

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh so lovely! I would LOVE to go to Paris, maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. 2 days ago I considered going to Paris again (went in May with en famille) but BY MYSELF, just so I could go to Mora and E Dehhilerin. I'm glad to see you had fun. Well done and I love your round up....

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanks for allowing me to relive my parisian dream - i was there last nearly 1.5 years ago, and i am longing to go back

    ReplyDelete